Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Note from Mark...

Hey family and friends!
I thought I'd take a moment to update you all on things out our way...
Life has been frustrating, and yet, other times full of blessings while being here in the tropical world of Saipan. As most of you know we bought a newer "reliable" car at the end of November and 3 weeks later we found out what a horrible purchase it was=the transmission was bad. So we brought it to one of the only mechanics on island that rebuilds automatics... That was the beginning of December and we just now got the car back 3 months later and the problem is not fixed! He actually has to pull the transmission out again. So that has been an on-going battle but amidst the frustration we've been extremely blessed to have a missionary's car while they are off island raising support. It has been a blessing but we also feel guilty that we still have their vehicle (we had intentions of borrowing it for only 3 weeks)

Aside from the stress from vehicles, Brittany and I have been spending a lot of nights at home just enjoying the "two of us" before little Coco enters our world! In the day light after work I've been training intensively for the up and coming triathlons!

I have to note; who would have ever thought that a Sawyer would do a triathlon? I was impressed when Julie ran a half marathon! I didn't think I would ever have ambition to do something like that!

The scary part is that I've really enjoyed it.

To let you know the distances I've put in: I've swam 11 miles, biked 245 miles, and ran 57 miles since my birthday in January! 

And so you know, Brittany has been just as diligent while I train. Almost everytime I'm out burning calories, she's in-taking them with ice cream! So she has become very disciplined in her game plan (dad you would be proud)

This Saturday the 13th of March I have Xterra which is an off-road triathlon. (and Very intense) The swim is 1.5K, the bike is only 25K (but seriously the hardest riding I may ever do) and the run is 10k, but even "run" is a loose term. There are 12' boulders I have to scramble over and then run through a washed out canyon that I am lucky to "walk through" without rolling my ankle! 
From a distant perspective it takes someone a little crazy to do such an event. But the more "screwy" people I get around, the more excited I get. 
I really hope to finish under 4.5 hours but we'll see. My biggest goal is that I survive the bike and not feel too light headed going into the run.

If I survive Xterra, I then want to register for Tagaman Triathlon the next weekend March 20th. This tri is all road so it should be easier. It's a 2k Swim, 60k bike, and 15k run. It's much longer, but everyone I've talked to on island says it a piece of cake if you can finish Xterra! The only part that I'm not looking forward to in Tagaman is the run. It's from Micro Beach all the way to PIC so it's on all pavement and in the sun. I plan on running for 9 minutes, walk one minute then run 9 again... so I can finish.
My goal is to finish this one under 4.5 hours as well. 
If you have any further interest you can check out www.saipansports.com

Aside from my new obsession, we've been holding successful Wyldlife clubs where I get to share the Gospel with many of my students, and I absolutely love my job teaching all the islanders. They make me laugh everyday, and I have a hard time getting mad at them even if they do something completely inappropriate. One student still reminds me daily ever since my bicycle crash that "Mr. Sawyer your face is still messed up" (I think Brittany would get along well with her)

On a different note, please keep us in your prayers, especially as we move deeper into the 3rd trimester. Brittany has been a champ with going to work and I know it's getting harder for her each day, but it will be worth all the pain and effort in the end! And she looks beautiful if you haven't noticed! She's all belly, and she's stink'n cute!

As much as we look forward to coming home to the Palouse, we are trying to savor the little moments that we now take for granted for living on a tropical island. AND We are THRILLED to have Angela come visit in 72 days and we wish the rest of you could come too! I keep hoping the little one arrives early, but based on her sizing with the ultrasound the doctors say her date is more like May 18th... 

Not much else to say that I can think of... Lots of pasta and bread for the next few days!

Oh!!! and most of all, I need to say THANK YOU to some of you for the Birthday presents! I don't want to admit how much money I've invested into this training! But I would not be equipped properly if some of you hadn't blessed me with awesome gifts! (It helps having an REI employee in the family!!!) And I do apologize for not thanking you earlier. Time swims/bikes/runs when your having fun!
Blessings to you all this week!

Mark

1 comment:

Halo-halo Life said...

Hey guys, want you to know that I'm waiting with bated breath for Coconut's arrival. I'm tickled pink at that name...especially since coconuts are part of my growing up years and something as common as apple trees for you.